Thursday, February 16, 2012

Reading scripts and Being prepared

Since I've been spending a lot of time looking at my laptop screen, I figured a Photobooth snapshot would be fun :)

This past few days have been seemingly uneventful, but I'm learning to savor these close to boredom moments.
One of my assignments for this year is to be prepared. In the past,  I've shortchanged myself by creating long term goals without actually addressing the babysteps that needed to be taken in order to get to that specific dream come true goal. These days, I'm all about subgoals.

Instead of looking at the sometime mundane things I need to do as tasks, I look at them as baby goals that have no choice but to lead me in the direction of the grand place I'd like to get to with my career.

From the comfort of my home, I'm able to put myself through my very own industry school by taking full advantage of the internet, Netflix and OnDemand :)

There are great articles and resources on Backstage.com, IMDB (the subscription for IMDBpro is well worth it), The Hollywood Reporter, and Variety. With pilot season underway, knowing who is working on what is also a great start for prepping your auditions. I recently joined CastingAbout and any praise I can sum up for this site will still be underrated. Basically any past, present, or future project is listed on this database along with casting info. With a subscription (that is very reasonably priced), you're able to make notes on projects, casting directors, and casting associates, and hopefully see if you already have a working relationship with casting involved in a project you may be interested in.

So with IMDB(pro) and Casting About, any actor can arm himself with the helpful information on casting, producers, breakdowns, and similar projects.

Reach out to your agents, in a non pushy way, but in way that shows you take your career seriously if you see something you think you'd be great for. If you've recently worked on something noteworthy, even better. Send out postcards with your announcements to casting directors you'd like to be seen by.

Hopefully those auditions come through and when they do, don't forget to follow up with Thank You notes. Remember: In sight, in mind.

A lot of great new shows have been picked up for their second seasons, so I'm watching these new shows in addition to established ones that work for my casting types (or that casting directors I'd like to be seen by are working on). Its like those days back in elementary school where you welcomed into homeroom by the tv or projector up front. Plus, there is never any harm in watching great actors on a great series or in an amazing film... in addition to being and working in class of course. 

So I've been home a lot since I got back from Michigan, but I'm busy beeing it up. Reading some pilot scripts I've received. Mailing out thank you's, post cards, follow-ups. Reading up, reading up, ... and soaking up info. Watching good tv with good acting, good writing and good production. Submitting (with discretion) what I can submit for. Taking care of myself by eating well, working out, and getting great sleep and of course wrapping my hair up so I can take pictures in front of laptop while I work :)

Good luck on all the amazing things heading your way.


No comments:

Post a Comment