Sunday, February 12, 2012

Build Them Up Versus Tearing Them Down



I'm an 80s baby and a performer. I feel privileged to have been young and impressionable while MTV bulldozed its way into the American mainstream though its becoming the most relevant fresh voice for pop music. I was influenced and I was impressed.

My parents knew to alert me (sometimes wake me up) whenever the powerhouses of pop were premiering a video or doing a live performance since reliving moment stopping moments through Youtube or via TiVo were something of a Jetson's episode at the time. I woke up for Michael Jackson, Janet Jackson, and Whitney Houston.

More than 2 decades later, I still do an 80s 2 step I learned in the I Wanna Dance With Somebody video and can't help but smile at this younger version of myself who needed her doses of entertainment like she needed water and barbies. Lord knows I was capable of making my disappointment known via a talented tantrum if I missed out on enjoying something new from my power pop 3.  

I had to know the new songs, the new moves, and if my mother would let me, I also had to mimic the new hair styles. These superstars and their pop peers had a power in their presence simply because of their talent and hypnotized their audiences worldwide. Our superstars could do no wrong.

National Inquirer has existed for as long as I can remember, but everyone knew it was joke. Aliens borrowing such and such. Someone's love affair with a robot. Who and who' secret time capsule. They were ridiculous make believe stories for adults and even when the story could happen in real life, the need to see our superstars in their less than glamourous light just wasn't a priority like it is now.

I'm not judging anyone for how they choose to entertain themselves, but I miss a pre TMZ entertainment world. I miss not knowing about my idols demons. I miss only seeing the great and talented when they choose to gift  the world with their ability. Knowing now what it is to pursue a place in this world, it is impossible to Be On 24/7. How can we expect this of the people who help create our lives' soundtracks or portray unforgettable roles we love to love?

I can only pray that I will hone what I know how to do to the point of reaching artistic genius like the MJs, Winehouses, and Houstons, but even from where I am in my development, I relate and empathize. 

For you artists out there, the decision to live through your art can be lonely and painful at times. Your ability is of the heavens, but you exist on earth. Folks love what you do without understanding the person you are. Escapism might become your way, but I hope that you find light in something that doesn't lead to your self destruction. There is a power within you that led you to take on this frightening world of entertainment. In spite of this talent and this power, you are human and should not be judged for the mistakes you make as a human being as you're figuring out how to navigate yourself in this world.

I really wish the vices of our greats weren't punchlines for gossip sites and that the ordinary weren't in a position to berate people, who against so many odds, are still out of this world in spite of their problems. 

In an ideal world, we would build up those we see slipping rather than bully them further into their demise. 

RIP Whitney Houston. Your beauty and talent contributed so much  and influenced so many. Your naysayers will never distract from this fact. 


No comments:

Post a Comment