Monday, July 23, 2012

Involuntary Vacation

When I was in elementary school, I kept busy with track, my viola & a couple Philly youth orchestras, academic extracurriculars for cool nerds, dance, playing outside like kids used to do, doing 24 tournaments, writing out the woes of middle school in my would be autobiography, and day dreaming about boys I was sure had not noticed me.

Hyperactivity was my solace and I am an adult version of my young self.

My assignment for this week is learning how to enjoy not being busy. 

June and the first half of July flew by and I adored June and July for doing so. Snuck a peek at the jet setter life for work and castings. Coached with an amazing Actor/Director. Had a couple close calls for huge ad campaigns. Bounced from class to fittings to castings to callbacks to class with the I've been placed on hold smile and back to class with the I've been released shrug to set to hair and makeup to the departure gate and arrivals and again and again and to rehearsals and to the stage and back to a plane and back to set and not in that order and not including everything. 
I was busy tired and it felt amazing.

I'm realizing that taking time to reflect also feels amazing. Rest is spectacular. Taking time to go train/read/get prepped for the next major thing is key.

I was doing so much going, I hadn't realized how I was due for some downtime to reflect on recent wins that warrant a couple smiles and a few "wows!" Focusing on how good the recent past has been, has made it easier to feel good in present which has made fearing the future (and  how long it'll be till my next gig) extremely difficult.

So instead of skipping town for the sake of hunting for a hustle, I'm working on being ready for what is to come while keeping it cozy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment